Thursday, July 23, 2015

Quilt Binding

Not one of my favourite parts of making a quilt, but necessary to get the quilt finished so it can be used.   I wanted to use a selvedge on this quilt but as it is 45" x 45", I didn't really have enough white/cream/beige selvedges to make a binding...until...I bought 3 metres of a white fabric to use as a background fabric in another quilt.  The selvedge was perfect so I cut the selvedge off the length of the fabric at 3" and folded it in half.


I laid the selvedge along the edge of the quilt at 1/4 inch in from the quilt edge with the selvedge edge facing into the quilt 



I sewed the selvedge edge to the front of the quilt along two sides as shown here


Then turned it over and hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.   Added the other two sides and will stitch them on the back tonight.


Not normally how I would attach a binding but hey sometimes you have to be a little bit creative to get a satisfying end result and I am pleased with how this method has worked.

Happy quilting !





No comments:

Post a Comment