Saturday, July 25, 2015

Butterfly using Selvedges Tutorial

I am often asked how I sew my selvedges together so I will share this little tutorial I have done.
My butterfly outline is traced onto vilene, and half inch guidelines are horizontially drawn.


I choose the two selvedge strips I want to start with and place then on the foundation as shown


I sew along the selvedge edge as close to the edge as possible as shown below

Continue sewing the selvedge strips onto the foundation as shown, this is what the front of the butterfly foundation looks like before it is trimmed.

Turn the foundation over and cut around the butterfly outline leaving about 1/2 inch seam.

Here is the butterfly foundation trimmed and ready for the visoflix to be attached. 


Once the visoflix has been attached, cut around the butterfly on the actual outline and then fused onto the background fabric.


Here is the finished quilt


Happy quilting !








7 comments: