Sunday, September 17, 2017

Wholecloth Quilt - a UFO done and dusted !

Once upon a time, many many years ago (26 years to be precise), I started hand quilting a wholecloth quilt.  It was started when funds were limited so the wadding was scrappy pieces hand sewn together and all different textures.
Earlier this year, I dragged it out from the back of the cupboard where it had been 'hiding' for many many years to show a quilter friend who was doing a wholecloth quilt on her long-arm machine.    The quilt was hand quilted but for one whole border and about a quarter of another border.   
I can no longer hand quilt so instead of folding it back up and putting it back into the cupboard, I decided to finish the quilting on my domestic sewing machine.
It was hard work, I am definitely not used to throwing around a huge king sized quilt under my machine but I persisted and eventually got the quilting done.


Here it is with the quilting done.  The binding came with the quilt top, cut on the bias and only two inches wide.  I like to do my binding at least 3-1/2 inches folded in half.  So I carefully pinned the single binding to the quilt, sewed it on, turned it over and sewed it down, turning under as I went.  

Next dilemma - would the blue markings wash out after so many years.  It worried me so I took it along to a drycleaning firm, armed with a list of do's and do not's.  They assured me they would take good care of it and after a 3 day wait, I picked it up.

The blue markings had all washed out, the quilt hadn't lost it's shape and it looked amazing.

 
Why had it taken me so long to get this gorgeous quilt finished.  



And the next day I ordered another wholecloth quilt online, a smaller version this time (40" x 40") and this one will be machine quilted and definitely won't take 26 years to complete.

Happy Quilting !

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations - what a huge job to do on your home machine. It looks amazing, and you must be so pleased with finally completing this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete