Friday, September 15, 2017

Street Directory Quilt

Wow ! It has been over 2 years since I last blogged.  Life (or should I say) and Sewing takes over and I must admit I am not a great one for taking progress photos as I sew.  But for the past few weeks I have been working on my local town's Street Directory, turning it into a quilt.

It started out like this - the A4 street directory enlarged many times and joined together.


I then transferred the whole map onto tracing Vilene because it is a lot easier to manage and can be folded up when not in use

The map was then divided into a number of sections, again traced onto the Vilene, and I proceeded to work on the first section.  The aim for doing this project was to use only fabric scraps from my stash, I won't be buying any fabrics to complete the project.  

This is the first section under way.  For the 'houses' I am foundation piecing each 'block of houses' using scrappy pieces of fabric.  The schools are yellow sections, parks / recreations grounds/ fields are done using green scraps.  

Here is a close up after I had added the streets.  The streets are made using grey scrap pieces and are fused down over the 'house blocks'  I have then machine appliqued using blanket stitch along each side of the streets / roads.
Here is the first two sections joined together and ready for quilting.   But before I can start the quilting process, I need to write the name of each street onto the quilt.  
Then came the first section of highway, a little bit of a challenge but I am really happy with how it came together.  I can't wait to add little extras to the quilt when quilting like the recreation grounds, the fishing lake (blue area) and the white lines on the highway.  
The next section has the major portion of the river running through town in it so I spent a whole day gluing varying blues onto the river outline and sewing them down.  Oh how I hate using glue, I somehow manage to get it everywhere but where it needs to go !

The quilt, when complete, will measure over 2 metres long and over a metre wide.  Halfway through the project and it has been so much fun to do, quite addictive really  

Happy quilting !











1 comment: