Monday, October 30, 2017

Street Directory Quilt - Ready for Quilting

The street names have been added to the Street Directory and I spent yesterday afternoon basting this mammoth quilt ready for quilting.

I could have waited and went to a hall and used more tables to lay it out, but no it had to be done yesterday and so my dining room table was pulled into the middle of the room for the task.   I used a wideback black fabric for the backing which seemed to take forever to iron.  

Then the pinning began, hundred of pins went into basting this quilt top and it took a few hours to get it all basted.
 Here is a closer view of the street names written on the quilt.  I didn't want them to stand out too much so they are printed on with a Sharpie Permanent Marking Pen.   The highway name will be hand embroidered on after the quilt has been quilted.

I will also applique 'Ulverstone' and the year onto the quilt after it is quilted.  I want to quilt the ocean are where the name will go before I add the applique, which will be hand done.

Now will come the almighty challenge of quilting this beauty on my trusty Janome domestic sewing machine.   Stay tuned !

Happy quilting !

No comments:

Post a Comment