Monday, January 4, 2016

'Australia Day' quilts

Australia Day is January 26.  So I thought I would make a couple of quilts to show what makes me a proud Tasmanian and Australian citizen.

A picture in an adult colouring book was the inspiration for this 'Koala Friends' quilt.  

This 'Tasmania' quilt is made up of little crazy blocks joined together, fused onto a background fabric to represent the surrounding oceans.

I loved sewing the 'Tasmania quilt' so much that I thought I would have a go at an 'Australia' quilt.  This quilt is almost 1 metre wide and is called 'I Love a Sunburnt Country'

These quilts are now on display at a local art and craft gallery during January.  I bought the cute Apron panel off a quilt destash page on Facebook and it made up into such a fun apron.  

The small Tasmanian mug rugs have been so popular, I have just sewn another 30.  Lots of fun to do and they make great gifts.

And I couldn't sewn a Tasmanian Mug Rug without trying an Australian one.  They are just as cute but turning them was a little bit tricky.  

Happy New Year !  And to another year of making quilts to share !

2 comments:

  1. These would make great overseas gifts for my Aussie family members now living in the UK. They look great. You Tassie quilters are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely items to show your patriotic spirit!
    We (Kiwis) had a 2 week holiday travelling around Tasmania several years ago - about the only kiwis we know who have been there! Others can't wait to get to the big cities in Oz, but we wanted to try Tassie. Such a lovely place too, as I'm sure you will agree.
    Happy New Year, and as you say, here's to another great stitching year.

    ReplyDelete